Wedding planning collectively boils down to one thing: decisions. Whether you go through the process with meticulous detail or set your sights on eloping, decisions have to be made. Among the list stands the age-old (and loaded) question: are you changing your name?
Here are some thoughts that may help you decide:
1. It seals the deal. It’s a special honor to be recognized as one family unit and you may ultimately feel closer because of it. Down the road, your lives are in sync with things like insurance, travel documents, children, and anything else your names are associated with.
2. It’s tradition. Whether or not you agree with the reasoning behind why women traditionally change their last name to match their husband’s, it’s definitely tradition. Your fiance may have strong feelings toward you changing your name, and your family may too!
3. Your new name sounds better. Correcting every jumbled mispronunciation just to get a dinner reservation makes your new five-lettered name sound extra sweet. Party of 5 for Mrs. Jones? Yes, please.
1. Losing your name may make you feel like you’re losing your identity. Your name feels like a part of you, and losing it may make you feel like a different person (but it doesn’t have to!).
2. It’s a little bit of a tedious process. You’ll have to go to the social security office, the DMV, and ultimately change your name on Facebook and Instagram, of course.
3. Changing your name means losing your namesake. You may come from a long line of daughters or you only have 1 male cousin to carry on the family name, so keeping your name may mean more to someone with 15 brothers.
Much like some of the other decisions you’ll make about your wedding, this one may be easy for you or it may take a little soul-searching. The beauty of this choice is that you have the freedom and time to make the best decision for you and your family. Take the time to discuss your feelings with your fiance and family, and ultimately, we’re sure you’ll make the choice that’s right for you!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE STORIES...
Once Wed copy writer Lauren was recently able to visit the Boca Raton Resort & Club, which is an incomparable wedding venue in the south of Florida. After an unparalleled stay, she can't wait to share her experience with you!