Did you know the average wedding emits 63 tons of CO2? That’s more than a single person emits in a full year!
Operating in a beautiful, natural environment such as Aspen, Colorado, Bluebird Productions knows a thing or two about planning a sustainable and eco-friendly celebration.
We asked for their top tips for how you too can strive to tread lightly on the environment when it comes to your wedding day. We think you’ll find it’s easier than you’d expect.
- Think Local: Everything looks best when it fits the locale. Look for local flowers, local food and beverage options and gifts for your gift bag. Not only will your carbon footprint be smaller, but you will be supporting the locale!
- The goodies: Skip the bubbles and other goodies wrapped in plastic. Select welcome bag items and favors that are mindfully manufactured packaged. If you can source these locally, even better! Edible favors ensure that the item ends up in a belly instead of a landfill.
- Decor: Put a little extra thought into decor to reduce waste! Would live plants supplement cut flowers nicely with your design? Can you use soy wax candles? A lovely linen using natural fibers versus manufactured fibers will reduce your carbon footprint as well.
- Waste: Every event has it! Talk to your venue team and event planner to set up a plan for recycling and compost.
- Paper: We adore paper. Beautiful paper can still be gentle on the environment though. Talk to your stationer to consider paper and inks that are gentle on the environment.
- Shipping: Plan ahead instead of rushing items to your wedding venue with overnight shipping. Consolidate packages when appropriate and possible as well. This will result in less packaging waste and weight.
Click through our slideshow for ideas on how you could incorporate environmentally friendly options in your wedding.