We have a beautiful and simple DIY project today sent to us from Heather Payne Photography. It’s always so fun to share easy tutorials with you, and you’re likely to have all of the ingredients for this DIY Concrete Candle tutorial in your garage! If you’re planning a minimalist-inspired wedding, these candles would make the perfect addition to a tablescape paired with different colors and textures. We love the idea of combining the hard texture of these candles with soft garlands and greenery. The addition of shiny or metallic textures would give these candles a layer of elegance on top of their simplicity and originality. Keep reading for the list of materials and step by step tutorial.
1 bag of concrete (with sand)
A mound to cast in (we used an empty tall soda can)
A spoon Paint Stick or dowel rod Scissors (or utility knife)
1. To begin, cut the top off of your soda can to prepare a workable space.
2. Add a small amount of water into can.
3. Add a cup of concrete mix and stir.
4. Continue to add in concrete dust and water (repeating steps 2 & 3) until the concrete mix and water becomes thick. (The less soupy the mix, the stronger the cast)
5. Using a paint stick or dowel rod, tap up and down shaking your mold gently. This will even out the concrete.
6. Place your candle on top of the concrete and gently press down until candle is flush with the mix.
7. While lightly holding the inserted candle in place, tap up and down to shake mix evenly around the candle.
8. Leave to dry overnight. Check every few hours continuing to press candle even with candle surface.
9. Once dried, gently score the cast using scissors (or utility knife) and pull away aluminum.
Thanks so much to Heather for this wonderful tutorial! Try it out, and let us know how it worked for you and how you would use these minimalist candles in your wedding.
Photography, concept & styling: Heather Payne Photography | Flowers & fingers: Kelly Perry of Philosophy Flowers | Calligraphy & Paper Goods: Abany Bauer of Brown Linen Design | Ribbon: Frou Frou Chic
BUY YOUR DRESS ON ONCE WED
Our favorite features of the all-new Once Wed are the gorgeous ways we can showcase amazing imagery from wedding pros. Our new slideshows and hero galleries are simple to use on your mobile device and give you access to plenty of wedding inspiration with larger, beautiful images.