I’ve been collecting handkerchiefs for a while and have been trying to figure out a way to incorporate them into a project. I just love all the different patterns and they come in every color under the sun. They could really coordinate with any wedding. After the wedding, these could easily be disassembled and the handkerchiefs and jars could be used again for their original purpose –Laurie.
What You’ll Need:
Several Canning Jars (1/2 pint wide mouth with the straight sides)
Several Handkerchiefs (in coordinating colors)
Iron and Ironing Board
Resources: Canning jars are easy to find at yard sales and thrift stores, so are handkerchiefs. Bailing wire is available at any hardware store.
1. Press all of your handkerchiefs flat. (if you’re going to be use these in a humid location, I would suggest using a little spray starch to help keep them crisp)
2. Fold the bottom of your handkerchief up (see figure 1) and the top of the handkerchief down (see figure 2) to create a band of fabric that is the same height as the jar. Press the folds.
3. Cut a 2 1/2 foot length of bailing wire. Wrap it tightly around the grooves in the top of the jar, then create a hanger. (see figure 3)
4. Wrap the folded handkerchief around the vase and secure it with a rubber band. (see figure 4)
5. Cut a length of ribbon (about 18 inches or so) and tie it around the vase to conceal the rubber band. Tie the tails in a bow. (see figure 5)
6. Add a little water in the bottom of your vase, insert the flowers. ( see figure 6)
7. Create a grouping of coordinating vases and hang from a tree, and arbor, or from the ceiling.
What it Cost:
Handkerchiefs $.25 – $3.00 each
Ribbon $.25 a yard
Bailing wire $3 for a 50 foot spool
Jars, if purchased new are about $9 for one dozen (but they are easily found for much less when used)
Laurie, your the best! Thanks for another wonderful project!!
Videos have a unique ability to capture more than just the individual moments of your wedding day, so today, we invited Lily and Lime to tell us why you should create lasting memories with wedding videography.