I found the designer, Rebecca Schoneveld, when she was still working out of her living room in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Since then she’s opened her own shop, and gotten picked up by Lovely Bride. I’m not surprised she’s exploding because her work is fantastic – she uses high quality materials and has an amazing sense of design. The fabrics feel gorgeous and move beautifully, she places seams to flatter your shape, and she pieces lace not to maximize how many dresses she can squeeze on one bolt, but so that the swags show off your figure to perfection.
The original dress is posted (with better photography, but a different neckline) here: http://www.rebeccaschoneveld.com/2013/rosaline
I was originally planning on a strapless ball gown since that suits an hourglass shape, and I was narrowing in on a couple options from Rebecca when she convinced me to try on the Rosaline dress. Even though it was nothing like my original idea, it was love at first try. The bodice is a deep v-backed bustier (with boning, so the twins were nice and perky even without a bra), with a lace overlay. I modified the neckline so that it was a scoop / boat neck rather than a deep V in front like the original design, since that suits my C/D-cup bust better. The back, with its lace detail and line of fabric buttons is maximum romance, and the scalloped train made my inner princess swoon. Best of all, the fit-and-flare style showed off my curves without making me feel bottom-heavy or like I was going to have to go on a crash diet.
On the day of the wedding, the dress was a joy. It’s light, in the scheme of wedding dresses, and the way it’s constructed means that it sits easily without hanging from your shoulders. The bias cut was forgiving enough I could eat my dinner and dance all night, without Spanxx. It bustles in a snap – one loop on the top lace layer hooks around the bottom button, and one hook-and-eye (with adorable blue bows) on the under layer make a French bustle in under 10 seconds. This is not a dress where you need a bevy of bridesmaids following you around and getting you to the bathroom. And the skirt is lined with the most gorgeous silk crepe. No one is ever going to see that, but every time I moved, this dress gave me a little hug, and made me feel like a queen. I can’t wait for someone else to enjoy the same!
Here’s how the website describes the dress:
If you are looking for a jaw-dropping but still tasteful and romantic gown, look no further than our “Rosaline.” This gown is incredibly flattering and totally elegant. Features a deep V front neckline, organically cut lace cap sleeves, a scooped V illusion back neckline with a deep scoop under layer, and a softly fit-and-flared skirt silhouette with a fabulous lace train. All over re-embroidered lace is placed in perfect proportions over heavy silk crepe with silk lining which feel light and luxurious on the body. The finishing buttons all the way up the back and easy bustle ensure a definitively bridal yet certainly modern statement.
- Label Size: 6
- Street Size: 6
- Bust: 32
- Waist: 26
- Hips: 37
- Height with Shoes: 5'7
- Alterations: I altered the neckline so that it's a gentle scoop, rather than a deep V. The back is still a V though. Two tiny things need repair: 1) the bottom button fell off as I was taking photos, but there are extra buttons that came with the dress, so that will be as easy as needle and thread. 2) One of the elastic loops that goes around a button mid-back broke. The cleaner took it upon themselves to fix it with non-stretchy thread (not sure why), so that will have to be replaced, but again that's a superficial fix. In all other ways, the dress is in perfect shape - no snags, stains, sweat marks, yellowing, tears or other anything that I could spot on very careful inspection.
- Color: Ivory
- Silhouette: Fit to Flare
- Material: Crepe, Lace, Silk
- Neckline: Cap Sleeve
- Style: Glamorous, Open Back, Vintage
- Condition: Used
- Original Owner: Yes
- Has Original Receipt: Yes
- Preservation Method: Dry cleaned immediately after the wedding. Stored for 2 months in my closet in its original garment bag.
- Terms of Sale: All Sales Final
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Will Ship to: Anywhere at Buyer Expense
- Payment Methods Accepted: Escrow.com
Please read our BUYER'S GUIDE before purchasing a dress online.