Vera Wang description: http://www.verawang.com/veraunveiled/2012/12/behind-the-dress-kareena/
My first dress that I shopped for, for my wedding was based on a budget. But I wasn’t fully happy with it, and didn’t find “the one” that fit my needs for an original, modern, yet very classy and elegant dress, that flowed but still looked sleek until I purchased the Vera Wang couture Kareena. To this day, it is the only Vera Wang couture Kareena model that has been sold out of the West Hollywood flagship store. Straight off the Spring 2013 line, it is amazing, and was perfect for my wedding day.
Kareena is for the bride who can’t decide if she wants to wear a mermaid gown, or if she wants the storybook ballgown. The highly layered, voluminous skirt really gives you the effect that a ballgown would, but it drops so low on the body so that it defines the bride’s figure alluringly, molding to her shape the way a mermaid gown would. It has a split personality that works really well.
What’s really beautiful about Kareena is the clean bodice, with its soft, sweetheart neckline, very fine, diagonally-draped French tulle, and foliage-inspired embroidery on the bodice that follows the line of the drape. The way the draping wraps around the back and across the zipper is quite hard to do, because those drapes have to match up from one side of the zipper to the other. It’s done very slowly and precisely by hand. You’ll find this technique in virtually every custom-made dress I do, from the red carpet to the skating rink.
The entire skirt explodes into these asymmetrical tiered flanges. Nothing about this looks really clean-cut or really orderly, and so you get a lot of variation on the body. And all the fabrics on this are so light and airy. You can see light dancing off of all these layers of bias-cut tissue organza and tulle. Even though these layers are completely monochromatic, the contrast between shadow and light creates a lot of interest and texture.
The skirt is so wide and so grand, but it really shows off the body beautifully. There’s so much drama in this gown! But there’s also an ease to it that makes it one of those dresses that fits into so many different settings, from a natural, outdoor daytime wedding, where it would go great against a backdrop of blooms, to a lavish ballroom wedding, where that big skirt would feel right at home on antique floorboards.
- Alterations: This dress was altered at Vera Wang to my measurements: bust: 31.5 / waist: 26 / hip: 35 / hollow to hem: 56 / height 5'3" + 4" heels ~ 5'7" Built in B bra cups and bodice for a very sleek, clean fit.
- Preservation Method: Will be cleaned by Vera Wang's recommended J. Sheerer prior to selling. Currently has not been shipped out yet. Will offer $1000 discount if you'd like to handle the cleaning services yourself. The dress has no tears, fabric damage, or stains, except for a couple minor spots in the undermost layers from rose petal stains on the aisle that are not visible except inside out. J Sheerer has assured that these marks can be removed.
- Terms of Sale: All Sales Final
- Location: , CA
- Will Ship to: Anywhere at Buyer Expense
- Payment Methods Accepted: Other
Please read our BUYER'S GUIDE before purchasing a dress online.