This is the most beautiful dress I’ve ever owned. Once I stepped into it in the Vera Wang shop in Beverly Hills, I teared up. I can’t imagine getting married in any other dress.
I love how Vera Wang herself describes this dress (below).
There are so many beautiful aspects to the Gemma gown. Perhaps the most otherworldly element is the ethereal combination of French tulle and organza, something you wouldn’t expect in a gown with such a defined mermaid silhouette.
Still, this is a very soft mermaid: I didn’t want anything to be too rigid. We used bands of tulle, wrapping around the body like a swirling cyclone, and ending in bias-cut flanges, which are deconstructed, abstract blossoms in tissue organza: it’s the perfect storm. Inside these rosettes I’ve added what I call “blizzard beading”: hundreds of tiny little sequins scattered all around. Once the dress is in motion, you get the thrill of that subtle play between lights and darks, but in the form of rosy, feminine blooms.
Between the blossoms and the beading, there’s certainly a pageantry in the base of this gown. It’s an absolute celebration of volume that is meant to be very dramatic, with the fantasy of a ball gown and the sensuousness of a mermaid gown combined. If you desire even more drama, a bride might choose to add a sequined belt for just a little flicker of beading, to really highlight the waist. Combined with the shimmer of sequins in the cut blossoms of the skirt, it’s a very dynamic look from every angle.
– See more at: http://www.verawang.com/veraunveiled/2011/06/behind-the-dress-gemma/#sthash.JIDWHIz4.dpuf
This is the same gown worn by Hillary Duff. Here are some pictures of Hillary Duff and Gemma gown in a fashion show.
I am including my ivory colored angel veil. It’s very delicate and long. I included a picture of it from the back so you can see.
- Alterations: There was no alteration in the bodice. The dress was cut short to fit me. I'm 5'1 and wore a 4 inch shoe.
- Preservation Method: I had it cleaned at J. Scheer & Co in NYC. This was the only company recommended by Vera Wang to clean and preserve the dress. It comes w/ a 50 year warranty and assures that there is no discoloration or weakening of the fabric from the process
- Terms of Sale: All Sales Final
- Original Owner: Yes
- Has Original Receipt: Yes
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Will Ship to: Anywhere at Buyer Expense
- Payment Methods Accepted: Other
Please read our BUYER'S GUIDE before purchasing a dress online.