VEIL INCLUDED IN PRICE (http://headpieces.com/collections_watters.php; Faerie; retails at $238). This WTOO Calyso (Style 11314; http://watters.com/Product/WtooBrides/11314/) gown (color Ivory) was originally purchased at Lovely Bridal in West Hollywood, CA for $1238, but retails at $1400. Once it arrived in the store, it was safely transported to and stored at a bridal alterations shop (A Stitch in Time), until the day before our wedding. On the day of the wedding (5/23/2014), I wore it for a total of 8 hours (pre-ceremony photos, ceremony, and reception). My now-husband and I aren’t great dancers, so it only went through about 5 dance songs. Most of wear-time was spent standing for photos and carefully walking from table to table to say hello to our guests during the reception. Since then, it has been professionally drycleaned, and has been hanging, out of reach, inside of a Watters garment bag in a closet.
With any piece of clothing, I prioritize pieces that look classic and are high-quality–and this dress is no exception. What I loved about this dress from the day that I first tried it on to our wedding day was the intricate beading in the bodice and the delicate layering of the skirt. Unlike some wedding dresses, the beading in the bodice has enough detail to distinguish it from plainer dresses, but is not overdone or severe (i.e., you won’t have to worry about reflecting every lit object you encounter, and becoming a human lightbulb). Additionally, the skirt is comprised of delicate layers of organza, and similar to the bodice, gives the dress a little extra prettiness without being “too much.” Although these details were important to me when choosing the design of my dress, the deciding factor came down to comfort. In addition to liking this dress best, out of the 15 dress that I tried on, this one was by far the most comfortable. Because the skirt is made of organza, this dress is extremely lightweight, which made moving around very easy and kept me at a comfortable temperature throughout the night. Furthermore, edges of the beads in the bodice are rounded, so you don’t have to worry about accidentally scratching yourself in the midst of everything else.
Having now gone through the whole wedding process, there are some things that my husband and I would have changed and some that we absolutely would not given the ability of foresight. This dress falls into the latter category. This dress allowed me to look and feel beautiful on our wedding day–an opinion that was also shared by my now-husband and several of our guests, who could not help but flatter the dress. If you are looking for a discounted designer dress that has a classic, but not plain, look and that will keep you comfortable and feeling your best on your big day, then look no further.
- Alterations: This WTOO Calyso (Style 11314) gown (color Ivory) was purchased as a size 6 (5'8", 140 lbs. 4" wedding heels) according to Watters sizing. However, because I have a pear-shaped body and have a bra size of 32B, I needed the bodice taken in to fit accordingly. The built-in bra can fit a larger bra size though as the person who did my alterations added removable bra cups to help me fill out the dress better. Additionally, a bustle has been added to the dress. No other alterations were made. Since the skirt is very full and has an A-line style, the skirt should fit and flatter most body types with similar sizing.
- Preservation Method: Since our wedding on 5/23/2013, this WTOO Calyso (Style 11314) gown (color Ivory) has been drycleaned, and has been hanging, out of reach, inside of a Watters garment bag in a closet. The dress still looks "like new." The one flaw is that one of the bustle ties is ripped (see Photo #3 for picture of dress post-bustle string rip; as a result train is lifted slightly higher on non-photographed side). Please note that the dress/train is perfectly intact, the rip only pertains to the bustle string. There are no other apparent stains, discoloring, flaws, etc.
- Terms of Sale: All Sales Final
- Original Owner: Yes
- Has Original Receipt: Yes
- Location: Studio City, CA
- Will Ship to: Other
- Payment Methods Accepted: Other
Please read our BUYER'S GUIDE before purchasing a dress online.