I knew I wanted a vintage dress that had a history to it–even if I didn’t know that history, which I don’t. I also wanted something with an understated elegance. I found this one online from a vintage clothing dealer in England, and am so glad I did! I am a historian with some knowledge of costume history, and would estimate that the dress was made in the 1930s. The silhouette is more fitted than the drop-waist dresses of the 1920s. It is an antique ivory color, and is lovely with a sash of any hue (mine was light gray). The embroidery is stunning, and looked fantastic with a pair of earrings that echoed the pattern. I received so many compliments on this dress and its originality–I’ve never seen anything like it.
For more images of the dress, see here: http://www.pairedimages.com/kate-steve-married/#.U9bK8kgUas1
Note: sash and slip are not included.
- Alterations: I had a tailor remove puff sleeves and a peplum that were originally attached. She also replaced the original hook closures on the side with a more discreet zipper, and repaired a few tiny tears in the fabric of the skirt .
- Preservation Method: The dress is delicate, but clean and in good condition, and has been kept in a garment bag.
- Terms of Sale: All Sales Final
- Original Owner:
- Has Original Receipt:
- Location: Indianapolis, IN
- Will Ship to: Anywhere at Buyer Expense
- Payment Methods Accepted: Escrow.com
Please read our BUYER'S GUIDE before purchasing a dress online.