Wedding planning collectively boils down to one thing: decisions. Whether you go through the process with meticulous detail or set your sights on eloping, decisions have to be made. Among the list stands the age-old (and loaded) question: are you changing your name?
Here are some thoughts that may help you decide:
1. It seals the deal. It’s a special honor to be recognized as one family unit and you may ultimately feel closer because of it. Down the road, your lives are in sync with things like insurance, travel documents, children, and anything else your names are associated with.
2. It’s tradition. Whether or not you agree with the reasoning behind why women traditionally change their last name to match their husband’s, it’s definitely tradition. Your fiance may have strong feelings toward you changing your name, and your family may too!
3. Your new name sounds better. Correcting every jumbled mispronunciation just to get a dinner reservation makes your new five-lettered name sound extra sweet. Party of 5 for Mrs. Jones? Yes, please.
1. Losing your name may make you feel like you’re losing your identity. Your name feels like a part of you, and losing it may make you feel like a different person (but it doesn’t have to!).
2. It’s a little bit of a tedious process. You’ll have to go to the social security office, the DMV, and ultimately change your name on Facebook and Instagram, of course.
3. Changing your name means losing your namesake. You may come from a long line of daughters or you only have 1 male cousin to carry on the family name, so keeping your name may mean more to someone with 15 brothers.
Much like some of the other decisions you’ll make about your wedding, this one may be easy for you or it may take a little soul-searching. The beauty of this choice is that you have the freedom and time to make the best decision for you and your family. Take the time to discuss your feelings with your fiance and family, and ultimately, we’re sure you’ll make the choice that’s right for you!
When Kat Harris sent us Aaron and Brynn’s Brooklyn Bridge engagement session, we couldn’t wait to share it with you! We love that this adorable couple chose their home as the backdrop for their modern and elegant engagement session. Brynn is a stylist and blogger (you can view her work and musings here: Being Elliot), and you can see her style and love for the city shine through in these stunning photos.
We’d love to hear what you’d incorporate into your engagement session to personalize it. Your home? Your pets? Let us know!
It’s becoming much more common for women to embrace their natural hair whether it be curly or straight, and we’re so happy that women are proud of their natural beauty and are doing what they can to let it shine. We love this simple wedding updo for naturally curly hair from Yolanda Jones, styled by Lora Kelley and photographed by Joey Kennedy, and we encourage you to embrace your organic beauty on your wedding day and work with what you have! Keep reading for the full tutorial on how to recreate this wedding updo.
-Duck Bill Clips
Step 1: Leave hair natural and feathered out.
Step 2: Add hair oil to provide shine and soften fly-aways
Step 3: Divide hair into 4 basic sections and clip off with duck bill clips
Step 4: Start with the section at the base of the neck – hold it out from the head, and using your hand, fold it over and tuck ends into the hair and pin.
Step 5: Do this with the next section of hair above the first section, but fold it the opposite way of the first – this will create dimension in the hair.
Step 6: Pick on of the side sections, and divide it into two more sections.
Step 7: Fold the lay one over the other, and fold them across the head, tucking the ends in and pinning as you.
Step 8: Use the last section of hair to lay over the top and across the back of the hair, folding across the hair, and tucking the ends under. Pin.
Step 9: Spray with hair spray.
Looking at beautiful wedding dresses doesn’t get old. We never tire of sharing beautiful designs and designers with you, and we’re so excited about the newest Madison James Bridal collection. Over the next few months, you’ll be seeing a lot more from us about these beautiful dresses. The 2015 Spring Collection has blown us away, and we can’t wait to share more of it with you soon!
In the meantime, if you’re looking for “the dress,” Madison James is hosting trunk shows all over the country where you can see these stunning designs in person. Whimsical and delicate, the Madison James spring line borrows inspiration from international textile patterns, striking floral embroidery, and vintage design. No matter your wedding aesthetic or personal style, we’re sure you’ll find a Madison James dress to fit your dream wedding. Classically designed with timeless lines, fabrics, and textures, each dress is perfectly assembled to make you feel and look as beautiful as you can on your wedding day!
Madison James is hosting trunk shows to introduce their new 2015 Bridal Collection from California to New Jersey! Click below for the full list complete with dates and contact information. Keep coming back for more about the 2015 Spring Collection!